If you are having connection problems you may want to try changing the COM port assignment in Windows Device Manager as explained Below:
To access the Windows Device Manager:
Changing COM Port Assignment:
Please Note that the following method of changing the COM port assignment may be different for certain USB to Serial Adapters. Please refer to the documentation that came with your adapter if this method does not work.
- Determine the COM Port that you want to reassign
- Right Click and select Properties
- Click on the Port Settings Tab
- Click Advanced button
- At the bottom click on the Pull Down menu and change the COM Port to COM 1, 2, 3 or 4, up to 8.
- Try using a COM Port that does not say "In Use" . You can force windows to use a COM port in use by selecting the port.
- You may need to reboot your computer afterwards for the changes to take effect.